Tuesday, 21 December 2010

The Nativity

I am rather enjoying the adaptation of the Nativity on BBC 1, and I think it is good that there seems to be more religious broadcasting from the BBC after the dearth that we saw for a while.  The story begins on the road to Bethlehem with a somewhat bruised and resentful Joseph and understandably anxious Mary, and is told through flashbacks to the early days of their betrothal. The relationship between Mary and Joseph is rather movingly portrayed and I like the fact that doubts about each other and themselves are explored, for example in tonight's episode where Elizabeth and Mary seem to find it difficult to grasp the unlikely nature of their pregnancies and have no difficulty grasping the likely disbelief of others.

I wasn't quite sure about the characterisation of Herod, he seemed to be mainly lounging in bed being terribly self pitying and letting his eyeliner run in a shocking way. I also thought that, if I were Mary, a voluminous shawl would be a great asset in concealing the bump when meeting with Joseph after a few months away at Elizabeth's...
Yes, I suppose it might not have had quite the same dramatic effect...

1 comment:

  1. Personally I haven't watched it yet because the BBC's interpretations of religion in recent years seem to have been skewed to please people other than Christians, eg Jerry Springer the Opera. I might have a look on iPlayer...

    ReplyDelete