Saturday, 18 December 2010

God of infinite variety

It started snowing here last night and we woke up this morning to be greeted with a blanket of snow while the presents were being uwrapped (it is our son's birthday - we haven't time warped forward one week!) During breakfast more flakes started to drift down and it made me think about snow generally, especially in the light of the post last week about James Joyce's The Dead.
So, when I logged on later and had a browse around some blogs I read, I was delighted to see this beautiful image of a snowflake on the eChurch Christian blog, with some links to other blogs.
This photography of snowflakes amaze me. The designs are geometrical, echoing the laws and rules of physics that govern our world, but also so beautiful and infinitely varied, suggesting ( to me anyway) the creativity of God, his energy and abudance. If you do have faith, then the thought that such care to attention goes into even the tinest fragment of creation does make you stop and wonder and rejoice.
It also made me think that if God lavishes so much care and personal attention on each snowflake, how much more care and thought goes into the crafting of each human being, each of us unique and  individual. The images brought to mind two passages from scripture, the first from Matthew 10:30,  where we are told that not even a sparrow falls to the ground without God knowing, and that every hair on our head is numbered, the second from  Psalm139:
                    For you created my innermost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that well, My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."
                                         
So, if you are tempted to curse the snow over the next few days, do at least think. On the one hand it can be difficult, dangerous, annoying, slushy stuff, but like life itself, behind it lies a creative energy, and a beautiful design!
You can read more about snowflakes here and see some of the infinitely varied designs.


3 comments:

  1. What a great post. If only we amateurs could photograph snowflakes, but I guess there must be great skill in doing so. Reminds me of a snowflake prayer tree we did at a Family Service one year. It took me ages to cut out the snowflakes! These were handed out to everyone and they were invited to write prayers, then these were hung up on silver-sprayed branches at the front. It was lovely. Wish I had taken a photograph of it. Every Blessing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post. I half wish I was back in England watching the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon the living and the dead. Alas, we have escaped to Spain for the week, and missed Oxford's blizzard of 2010!

    ReplyDelete